Folding-community.org Forum Index Portal

• FAQ  • Search  •  Preferences  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Pandegroup  • Home  • News  • Project Summary  • Server Status  • Client Download  Stats  • Official  • Extreme OC  • Kakao  Other  • Tools  • WIKI
Calendar 
View next topic
View previous topic

Post new topicReply to topic View previous topicEmail to a Friend.List users that have viewed this topicSave this Topic as filePrintable versionLog in to check your private messagesView next topic
rph_iv
Honorary Member

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2005 07:58  Post subject:  "qgen" orphaned work recovery utility
Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

This little utility qgen, in the same family as qd and a few others, has been around for several months now, but not heretofore documented in this part of the Forum. This program will attempt to rebuild the queue.dat file if it has been lost or is unavailable. It can be used to recover orphaned work, or to prepare results to be returned by a machine which did not do the calculations. In cases where qfix can not adjust an existing queue.dat file, qgen might still succeed, but it is more complicated to run. Use qgen only if other methods have failed.

There is much more information on my web page, which you can get to by clicking the "www" button right below this post. That information includes all that I'm posting here, so all of what follows is really for people who already are familiar with the existing program.

After a few experiences with qgen, some of which were successful and some not, I've made a few small changes to the program, in hopes of reducing some of the opportunities for confusion.

Here are a list of changes I've made:
  1. qgen will now print out a version number. Today's version is v1.1.
  2. The output of qgen now contains a summary at the end telling how many units were requeued for processing, how many for upload, and how many errors there were. This should make it easier to be sure what it did, especially when it fails.
  3. It now handles the case where the work files have been improperly recovered from a Windows trash bin and contain nothing but zeros. Of course, it doesn't recover the data any better, but it tells you more clearly what's wrong.
  4. It's now possible to supply project, server, and deadline information with one more file than before. If qgen finds a file queue.ol2 in the recovery directory, it will process it about the same as queue.old, except that it won't extract the UserID, TeamNumber, and CPUID from it. The point of this is to allow gathering work files from two (or more) folding directories and supplying the needed project-related information from the queue files directly (assuming they are available) instead of needing the "psummary" data. This feature can be used to consolidate folding directories in case a client being run for some other recovery accidentally downloads another unit, or if a backup is restored from a machine which has failed.
  5. To provide a little more flexibility in controlling which unit is processed first, you can now put an "initial" entry in qgen.txt, overriding the default current queue index of 9, which qgen will use otherwise.
  6. The generated queue now contains several fields which previously were just left zero, including the CPU and OS fields at each active index, the performance fraction, and upload and download speeds. They are copied from queue.old.
I've also updated the qgen explanation and instructions page on my web site, showing an example of the program's output. Added are also a few more caveats of things that can go wrong, and a couple more scenarios where running qgen might be useful.

Taurus Gender:Male Dog OfflinePersonal Gallery of rph_ivView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
Post new topicReply to topic View previous topicEmail to a Friend.List users that have viewed this topicSave this Topic as filePrintable versionLog in to check your private messagesView next topic

View next topic
View previous topic