Folding-community.org Forum Index Portal

• FAQ  • Search  •  Preferences  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Pandegroup  • Home  • News  • Project Summary  • Server Status  • Client Download  Stats  • Official  • Extreme OC  • Kakao  Other  • Tools  • WIKI
Calendar 
View next topic
View previous topic

Post new topicThis topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicEmail to a Friend.List users that have viewed this topicSave this Topic as filePrintable versionLog in to check your private messagesView next topic
Vijay Pande
Pande Group
Pande Group

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct, 2007 21:26  Post subject:  New web site coming on line soon
Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

We've completely overhauled the FAH web pages. The inspiration for the changes were multi-fold, but mainly the old site was looking a bit old stylistically and the translations were poorly integrated with the main text; in particular, the "download" pages were unique for each translation, yet only the English translation (main site) download page was updated.

There will be several new features behind the scenes which will be useful to us

* The new backend for the web site is much more flexible, allowing the whole Pandegroup as well as some other collaborators to make direct edits to the site. We expect that this will keep the site more freshly updated (esp in terms of the FAQ)
* The language translations will be MUCH better integrated. Check this out: when on a page (any page), click on a language link on the left and get that specific page translated! Chinese, English, French, and German are (mostly) all in, and more translations are on the way.
* Site search will now be integrated.
* Backend tricks will allow us to keep pages consistent -- between translations and even with the PandeGroup web site as well.
* Browser-specific pages: for certain pages (eg the download page), we will look to your browser to make specific recommendations (eg client recommendations) to hopefully greatly simplify the client-choice process (which has gotten really complex, due to all the clients we now support).

Our first goal was to get the site up and to port over the previous content. Over the next few weeks, we'll also be updating the content (some of which is fairly old and deserves a good updating).

For now, please check it out
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/cgi-bin/

If all looks good over the next few days, this site will replace the old FAH site at the http://folding.stanford.edu url.

OfflinePersonal Gallery of Vijay PandeView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
toTOW
Folding Guru
Folding Guru

france.gif
PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct, 2007 22:16  Post subject:  (No subject)

The layout looks good to me but I have some critics :

- the links in the top menu should be emphasized by some kind of nice design ... I think they are only visible when touched by the cursor ... but it's not obvious that they are clickable.

- same critics for the left menu : the translations might be figured by flags ... and some titles should be added (ie. Navigation, Links, Translations, ...) ... links looks like they where put here "in bulk".

- I don't think it's necessary to repeat the logo in the top as they are at the bottom too ... this space might be used for something else ...

- In the translated main page, you don't show the sponsors and partners like in the English default page ...

Now the good points :

- more modern look
- clearer download page (macs logos tell everything on their own)
- easy to use FAQ (a backward link should be usefull when browsing other FAQs like SMP, GPU, ...)
- nice About page, I like to know who's being the scene ;)

It was my two cents ...

Capricorn Gender:Male Pig OfflinePersonal Gallery of toTOWView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
7up1n3
SupaFolder
SupaFolder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct, 2007 22:33  Post subject:  (No subject)

Looks good. All those logos ... are they all sponsoring [email protected]? What is the relationship?

Libra Gender:Male Pig OfflinePersonal Gallery of 7up1n3View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Sahkuhnder
I can Fold
I can Fold

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:37  Post subject:  (No subject)

On the Stats page under "Server stats/client info:" the last entry is the link to the map page.

IMHO, this is embarrassing and makes the project look unprofessional because the map was last updated in 2004. It too looks "a bit old stylistically" and the data it displays is so obsolete that it approaches meaningless. As active CPUs contributing to the project have doubled since back then, my suggestion would be to at least update the data, and preferably give the whole page a style makeover in keeping with the look of the new site.

My other suggestion would be a button or link for donating funds. The last sentence on the home page says "...help by donating funds to the project, via Stanford University.", but Stanford University is huge. Who exactly do you ask? How can a contributor make sure the funds go to this project? The more info you provide about how donations are actually made, where in Stanford the funds will be used, who to ask with questions, etc., the more people are likely to feel comfortable with the donation process and/or make the effort to actually do so. How about having a "PayPal donate" button like is on the upper left corner of this page? Not everyone is wealthy enough to formally contact Stanford about making a financial donation, but a distributed computing project should already understand the vast power of many people each being able to easily make a small donation...

I do like toTOW's suggestion to display flags. Like the flags on this forum, it helps give the feeling that we are all part of a worldwide effort.

Generally, the site looks great.

Gender:Male  OfflinePersonal Gallery of SahkuhnderView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
P5-133XL
Folding Guru
Folding Guru

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:36  Post subject:  (No subject)

In general, I really like the new home page. I have a few stylistic preferences

Your Blog/News page needs to have a direct link back to the home page rather than back to itself, preferably in the upper-left of the page where everyone looks. As a stylistic choice the same should be true for all pages linked from the original page and those that don't should start a new page/tab without destroying the original.

If you are going to list sponsors on the bottom, it would be reasonable to make them into links either to pages specific to their contribution or their home pages.

I also think the translation links should have background flags in addition to the text .

The link for Results contains only research papers: Would it not be more logical being called papers or Research papers

Last edited by P5-133XL on Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:45; edited 1 time in total
   OfflinePersonal Gallery of P5-133XLView user's profileSend private message
Erant
My First Folding
My First Folding

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:41  Post subject:  (No subject)

As a web dev, here: not convinced. The back end type changes look brilliant. But the design of it is too busy. You maybe need some slickness (or subscribe to the flashy web 2.0 ness) to the design.

Better than the old version though :P

You could probably widen the design slightly as most people have fairly wide screens now :)

Are you using 2tehWeb as your backend (it looks similar and I was just interested :))?

I feel really bad nit picking BUT there are loads of good points that others have dealt with so I wont be boring and go over them. Suffice to say I agree :) :)

Uber good stuff

OfflinePersonal Gallery of ErantView user's profileSend private message
chrisretusn
My First Folding
My First Folding

philippines.gif
PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:59  Post subject:  (No subject)

As first glance I was taken back but it grows on you.

I like the links in the top menu as they are, with one exception the ugly box when you mouse over the menu item. Maybe just highlight the menu item text instead.

Yes the left could be displayed a little better as suggested by toTOW. The flags idea a cool one.

On the Download page, the "Recommended software (based on information furnished by your browser)" is a great idea and looks good too. Not sure about that question mark image for Installation Instructions. Just doesn't look right to me. Not sure what to replace it with though.

Overall I really like the new improved look and feel of the the site.

Gemini Gender:Male Horse OfflinePersonal Gallery of chrisretusnView user's profileSend private message
Flathead74
Regular Folder
Regular Folder

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 03:35  Post subject:  (No subject)

Wow, everyone's a critic.
The man announces a new web site and you all just stop by to kick him in the package? :P

Lotsa class... :P

Cancer Gender:Male Cat OfflinePersonal Gallery of Flathead74View user's profileSend private message
Vijay Pande
Pande Group
Pande Group

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 03:52  Post subject:  (No subject)

Flathead74 wrote:
Wow, everyone's a critic.
The man announces a new web site and you all just stop by to kick him in the package? :P

Lotsa class... :P

:) Thanks for the support -- and to all for the constructive comments. We won't be making any major stylistic changes from here (time to get back to work on other areas) for a while (even if we do agree with many of the comments here), but I think all agree it's a step in the right direction.

OfflinePersonal Gallery of Vijay PandeView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
Galahad
Folders 'r Us
Folders 'r Us

russia.gif
PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 04:35  Post subject:  (No subject)

chrisretusn wrote:
On the Download page, the "Recommended software (based on information furnished by your browser)" is a great idea and looks good too. Not sure about that question mark image for Installation Instructions. Just doesn't look right to me. Not sure what to replace it with though.

There is a bug in this page, when I tried to view it through my satellite proxy (Sprint) it showed only Playstation3 client available. Rewrite the code please.

Leo Gender:Male Dog OfflinePersonal Gallery of GalahadView user's profileSend private message
Vijay Pande
Pande Group
Pande Group

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 04:40  Post subject:  (No subject)

PS We ditched flags some time ago as languages are not always associated with a single country (eg people speak Portuguese in Portugal and Brazil -- which flag do you show -- ditto for China vs Taiwan -- and this got us into tricky international issues). It's better to just put the language.

I did incorporate some of the other comments and just updated a donation page as well as updating the map page.

Vijay Pande
Pande Group
Pande Group

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 04:45  Post subject:  (No subject)

Galahad wrote:

There is a bug in this page, when I tried to view it through my satellite proxy (Sprint) it showed only Playstation3 client available. Rewrite the code please.

Could you go to this page
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/cgi-bin/index.php/English/BrowserCheck
and post what it says. Thanks.

Galahad
Folders 'r Us
Folders 'r Us

russia.gif
PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 04:52  Post subject:  (No subject)

Quote:
Browser Check

Full agent name =
OS name = unk
OS subtype =

Leo Gender:Male Dog OfflinePersonal Gallery of GalahadView user's profileSend private message
Vijay Pande
Pande Group
Pande Group

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 05:02  Post subject:  (No subject)

ok, thanks Galahad. Could you try the download page again now?

Galahad
Folders 'r Us
Folders 'r Us

russia.gif
PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 05:10  Post subject:  (No subject)

Oh, much better now! Thanks for quickness!

Post new topicThis topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicEmail to a Friend.List users that have viewed this topicSave this Topic as filePrintable versionLog in to check your private messagesView next topic

View next topic
View previous topic